With more than 18 years of surgical experience Dr. Vinay Kumar Shaw is a proficient laparoscopic, gastrointestinal and bariatric surgeon. He has successfully treated more than 5000 cases and has been associated with many prestigious healthcare institutions. His expertise includes GI, GI Oncological, Minimal access and Bariatric surgery. Dr. Shaw did his Master’s degree from GMCH and followed it with further training in laparoscopic surgery at Institute of Minimal Invasive Surgery, AMRI, Kolkata. He completed his senior residency with teaching experience of three years at VMMC and Safdarjang Hospital which is one of the largest tertiary level multi-disciplinary healthcare institutions in this part of the World. He has keen interests in Minimal Access Surgery and also received training at South Korea. He has pioneered a safe HAP technique for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy which is indicated for gall bladder stone disease and presented it at the prestigious National IASG meeting held at AIIMS, New Delhi and the international congress of the European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons. He believes in ensuring the highest quality of surgical care with evidence-based treatment strategies.
- MS - General Surgery - Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati
- MBBS - Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati
Awards and Membership:
- Full Life Member:
Association of Surgeons of India (ASI).
Indian Association of Gastro-Endosurgeons (IAGES)
Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India(OSSI)
- Hon. Member, International Association of Surgeons, Oncologist and Gastroenterologists (IASGO)
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy for gall bladder stone
- Complex Hernia Repair
- Piles (MIPH/Laser) surgery
- Anal Fistula/Fissure Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
- Gastrointestinal, Hepatobiliary, and Pancreatic surgeries
- Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis
- Lap Gynecological procedures
Major Awards and Achievements:
Dr. Shaw has numerous publications in indexed journals including the prestigious British Journal of Surgery. He is also invited Faculty and Judge in various proceedings of various national conferences under the aegis of Association of Surgeons of India(ASICON), Society of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of India(SELSICON), Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India(AMASI), and Indian Association of Gastrointestinal enodo-surgeons (IAGES). Some other major presentations are-
- Abstract published -Obesity Week 2013, under the aegis of American Society of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery(ASMBS), Atlanta
- Surgery for Chronic Pancreatitis. Invited Lecture, North East Gastro Meet, 2014, Guwahati, India
- Laparoscopic TME, Management of Rectal Carcinoma. CME Lecture (Video Session). Annual conference of the Assam State chapter of Association of Surgeons of India, ASACON 2014.
- Awarded at International Associations of Surgeons, Gastroenterologists, and Oncologists (IASGO) congress, 2016, Seou
- Video presentation - World congress, University of Lyon, France, IASGO 2017
- Novel approach for ventral hernia repair in Bariatric patients. IFSO 2018, 23rd World Congress International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders
- Simpler Approach in management of complex ventral hernia repair. Guest Lecture - CME on Trends in General Surgery organized by GNRC Hospitals, May 2019, Guwahati
- Hug and Push (HAP) technique in Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy - a safe alternative with modification of Critical View of Safety (CVS) approach. Oral Video, IASGCON 2019, AIIMS
- Ventral Hernia Repair- Changing trends for tailor made approach. Lecture, Annual Conference of the Association of Surgeons of India, ASICON, Dec 2019, Bhubaneswar, Orissa
- HAP (Hug and Push) technique in Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy, European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons(EAES) Virtual congress 2020,23 - 26 June
- E TEP repair for Pfannenstiel Incisional Hernia. Video presentation. Virtual International conference, ANZ - AWR 2020
- Invited Chairperson. An Update on Rectal Cancer Management. CME organized by Rectal Cancer Treatment Outcome Group, Jan 2020, Gurugram, India.
- Invited Faculty and Moderator, Surgery Clinical Oriented Postgraduate Examination Course, SCOPE 2021 (Virtual), Delhi State Chapter, ASIModerator, Incidental gall bladder carcinoma. Virtual Symposium conducted by Delhi State chapter of Association of surgeons of India, 2021
- Faculty- Sleeve gastrectomy course, 18th National Conference of Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India, 27th - 29th Feb, OSSICON 2020, New Delhi