Heart bypass surgery, also known as coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), is a critical medical procedure that can save lives and improve the quality of life for individuals with severe heart disease. The average Heart Bypass Surgery Cost in India ranges from INR 2,40,000 to INR 6,40,000 (approximately USD 3,000 to USD 8,000).
However, the Heart Bypass Surgery Cost can be higher or lower depending on the factors mentioned above. For example, the cost of surgery may be higher for patients with complex medical conditions or who require additional procedures during surgery.
One significant concern for patients considering this procedure is the cost involved. India has emerged as a popular destination for medical tourism due to its renowned healthcare facilities and cost-effective medical services.
Cardiac surgery continues to be the most frequently performed technique worldwide, with annual volumes totaling approximately 200,000 cases in the United States alone. In 2022, it was observed that 60,000 procedures were conducted annually in India, while approximately 200,000 procedures were performed in the United States. Heart Bypass Surgery Cost in India varies on several factors which is explained later in the article.
[Also Read About Top 10 Cardiologists in India]
What is Heart Bypass Surgery?
To ensure smooth blood flow to the heart, coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) or heart bypass surgery is performed. For those suffering from heart conditions including coronary artery disease, it is a life-saving operation.
Although the price is much higher in many nations, cardiac surgery price in India provides a cheaper option for those in need of this medical procedure. The cardiac condition that causes the blockages, such as atherosclerosis or coronary artery disease, is not treated by coronary bypass surgery.
However, it can ease symptoms, such as chest pain and shortness of breath. For some people, this procedure can improve heart function and reduce the risk of dying of heart disease.
Why India is a Top Destination for Heart Bypass Surgery
India is a particularly popular destination for medical tourists because it boasts some of the greatest medical facilities and services in all of Asia. Utilizing cutting-edge technology, the top bypass surgeons in India and Indian hospitals collaborate to offer all types of disease-related procedures and treatments.
In addition, the bypass surgery price in India is considerably lower than in other countries or states. A foreign patient should anticipate paying between 50% and 60% less for a complete heart bypass in India.
The best heart bypass surgery in India provides comprehensive appropriate treatment, including comprehensive pre-operative evaluations, minimally invasive surgical options, and post-operative rehabilitation programs.
At these medical facilities, patients may anticipate specialized care, individualized attention, and compassionate treatment. Leading international agencies like the Joint Commission International (JCI) or the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH) have accredited the hospitals.
Heart Bypass Surgery Cost in India
The starting price for a heart bypass in India is between $3000 and $8000. However, the price of a cardiac bypass procedure in India can also vary depending on the institution. Many factors influence people’s decision to receive their medical care through heart bypass transplants in India.
The quality of healthcare services is another factor, in addition to the price disparity. Additionally, the success of the overall heart bypass procedure in India may depend on a variety of factors.
[Also Read About What is Cardiology]
Factors Affecting the Heart Bypass Surgery Cost in India
Heart bypass surgery, also known as coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), is a vital medical procedure that can vary in cost depending on several factors when conducted in India. These factors include:
- Geographic Location: The cost of heart bypass surgery in India can fluctuate based on the city or region where it is performed. Major metropolitan areas like Mumbai, Delhi, and Bangalore typically have higher living costs, which can translate into higher medical expenses. In contrast, smaller towns or rural areas may offer more competitive pricing.
- Type of Hospital: The choice of hospital plays a significant role in determining the cost. Premium private hospitals with state-of-the-art facilities and experienced medical staff may charge higher fees compared to government-run or charitable hospitals, which may offer lower-cost options or even provide the surgery for free to eligible patients.
- Type of Bypass Surgery: The complexity of the surgery directly impacts the cost. A single bypass surgery, which involves grafting one blocked artery, is less expensive than double or triple bypass surgeries, which require more intricate surgical techniques and longer operating room time.
- Surgeon’s Fee: The reputation and experience of the cardiac surgeon performing the procedure can influence the cost. Highly skilled and renowned surgeons often charge higher fees for their expertise.
- Duration of Hospital Stay: The length of post-operative hospitalization affects the overall cost. Prolonged stays due to complications or other medical conditions can increase expenses.
- Additional Tests and Procedures: Patients may require various pre-operative tests and diagnostic procedures, such as angiography or stress tests, which add to the overall cost. Additionally, unforeseen complications during surgery may necessitate additional interventions and expenses.
- Medical Supplies and Technology: The use of advanced medical technology and high-quality surgical materials can also impact the cost of heart bypass surgery in India. Cutting-edge equipment and premium supplies may lead to higher overall expenses.
Comparative Analysis of Heart Bypass Surgery Cost in India
The following table depicts the heart bypass surgery cost in India at different cities in India.
|Country||Minimum Price in USD||Maximum Price in USD|
The above graphical representation indicates that the standard surgery time for heart bypass surgery is approximately 3-6 hours. Full recovery from traditional CABG may take 6 to 12 weeks or more. Nontraditional CABG requires less recovery time, and the patient typically stays in the hospital for nearly 7 days.
Types Of Heart Bypass Surgery Cost
Type Of Heart Surgery
|Average cost (INR)|
|Minimum (USD)||Maximum (USD)|
|Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)||3000||7500|
|Aortic valve replacement||2600||7400|
|Mitral valve replacement||2400||7000|
|Combined CABG and valve replacement||3100||7700|
|Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)||2800||7150|
Post-Surgery Tips for Heart Bypass Surgery Cost in India
Post-surgical complications are common. And thus, every patient needs to undergo a set of guidelines that will help in quick recovery. Here is a list of rules that can be followed for a quick recovery:
- Eat a healthy diet to help it heal
- Don’t stand in one place longer than 15 minutes
- Do not push or pull heavy things
- Have proper sleep
- Pick up your hobbies and social activities
- You’ll probably need to rest after the activity but try not to take a lot of naps during the day
- Options for counselling sessions as anxiety and stress are common
- Practice deep breathing exercises to strengthen their lungs and reduce the risk of postoperative complications
Key Takeaway Heart Bypass Surgery Cost
The difficult and life-saving technique of heart bypass surgery necessitates careful consideration of a number of issues, including Heart Bypass Surgery Costs in India.
Even though the heart bypass surgery price in India can vary depending on a number of factors, including hospital type and location, surgeon reputation and experience, type of bypass surgery, length of hospital stay, and post-surgery care, it is still a reasonable option in comparison to many other nations.
Additionally, the operation lowers the chance of a heart attack. However, open heart operations are not always a cure.