Chemotherapy is a drug treatment that uses powerful chemicals to kill fast-growing cells in your body. Chemotherapy is most often used to treat cancer, since cancer cells grow and multiply much more quickly than most cells in the body. Many different chemotherapy drugs are available. Chemotherapy drugs can be used alone or in combination to treat a wide variety of cancers.
Though chemotherapy is an effective way to treat many types of cancer, chemotherapy treatment also carries a risk of side effects.
Book an Appointment
There are numerous different kinds of chemotherapy. In general, medicines used for chemotherapy are important chemicals that treat cancer by attacking cells during specific corridor of the cell cycle. All cells go through the cell cycle, which is how new cells are made. Cancer cells go through this process briskly than normal cells, so chemotherapy has further of an effect on these fast- growing cells.
Cancer cells grow and divide uncontrollably. Chemotherapy destroys cancer cells and prevents them from multiplying. Adjuvant remedy Chemotherapy destroys cancer cells after surgery or radiation remedy. restorative remedy Chemotherapy( which may also include radiation and/ or surgery) eliminates cancer, and it does n’t return.
Procedure of Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy and surgery are two different cancer treatments that are often used in combination to provide the best possible outcome for patients.
There are different types. Some of them may also be called biological therapies. They may be given with chemotherapy or on their own. Some are given into a vein (by a drip), some are injections and some are tablets.
- Chemotherapy infusions. Chemotherapy is most often given as an infusion into a vein (intravenously). The drugs can be given by inserting a tube with a needle into a vein in your arm or into a device in a vein in your chest.
- Chemotherapy pills. Some chemotherapy drugs can be taken in pill or capsule form.
- Chemotherapy shots. Chemotherapy drugs can be injected with a needle, just as you would receive a shot.
- Chemotherapy creams. Creams or gels containing chemotherapy drugs can be applied to the skin to treat certain types of skin cancer.
- Chemotherapy drugs are used to treat one area of the body. Chemotherapy drugs can be given directly to one area of the body. For instance, chemotherapy drugs can be given directly in the abdomen (intraperitoneal chemotherapy), chest cavity (intrapleural chemotherapy), or central nervous system (intrathecal chemotherapy).
- Chemotherapy given directly to the cancer. Chemotherapy can be given directly to the cancer or, after surgery, where the cancer once was.
Get A Quick Callback From Our Healthcare Experts