A variety of surgical disorders are diagnosed, treated, and managed in the medical specialty of general surgery. This type of surgeon is skilled in doing procedures on many different body systems, such as the vascular, endocrine, skin, breast, and digestive tract. Being on the "cutting edge" of medical innovation, general surgery constantly innovates for the benefit of surgical patients. Research in surgery on immune systems and genetics has reinterpreted personalized treatment plans for patients, providing new insights into the causes of disease and how it advances.Book an Appointment
About General Surgery
To give their patients the best care possible, general surgeons collaborate closely with medical specialists such as pathologists, radiologists, and anesthesiologists. In order to reduce their patients' discomfort, scarring, and recovery time, they employ the most recent surgical procedures and technologies. All things considered, general surgery is an important profession that is vital to preserving patients' health and wellbeing. Future general surgeons should expect bright and rewarding careers because general surgery is still in high demand from the public and professionals.
Procedure of General Surgery
General surgery is still regarded as a distinct medical specialty even though it treats common conditions. Anatomy, physiology, metabolism, immunology, nutrition, pathology, wound healing, and other topics shared by all surgical specialties are among the fundamentals of general surgery. Every day, general surgeons do life-saving operations like splenectomy, appendectomy, and cancer treatment surgery.
- Appendectomy- In addition to causing excruciating pain, an appendix rupture puts the body at risk for serious infections. An appendectomy, or removal of the appendix, is the only treatment that can stop a dangerous and sometimes fatal infection from appendicitis. Our general surgeons will execute an open appendectomy or a laparoscopic appendectomy, depending on the patient's demands.
- Breast Surgery- Mastectomy remains one of the most effective treatments for breast cancer, which is still one of the most prevalent cancer forms in the US. This can include breast biopsy, lumpectomy to remove a tumor, or a mastectomy to remove the breast.
- Colon Surgery- Known medically as a colectomy or colon resection, this procedure aims to remove all or a portion of your colon to treat or prevent dangerous medical disorders. Colectomy, which involves removing a portion of the colon, and colonoscopy, which involves seeing within the colon, are two procedures that can be done on the colon.
- Vascular Surgery- A range of surgical procedures can be performed on blood vessels, including angioplasty to open blocked arteries and vein stripping to treat varicose veins.
- Thyroid Surgery- The surgical removal of the thyroid gland, which is situated at the front of the neck, in whole or in part is known as a thyroidectomy. Thyroid hormone, which is released by the thyroid gland and regulates a number of vital bodily processes. Those with thyroid nodules, thyroid tumors, or hyperthyroidism—a condition in which the thyroid gland secretes excessive amounts of thyroid hormone—may benefit from thyroidectomy.
These are the above-listed common general surgeries that are performed worldwide by leading general surgeons.
Get A Quick Callback From Our Healthcare Experts